Saturday, May 28, 2011

May 22, 2011 - Ready to Launch


I am about to embark on an Eisenhower Fellowship. Eisenhower Fellowships was founded in 1953 as a gift to President Dwight D. Eisenhower to celebrate his first birthday in the White House. A group of Pennsylvania businessmen established an international leader exchange program to honor Ike’s devotion to world peace. Since then, nearly 2000 Fellows from around the world have participated in the program.

“Eisenhower Fellowships engages emerging leaders from around the world to enhance their professional capabilities, broaden their contacts, deepen their perspectives, and unite them in a diverse, global community - a network where dialogue, understanding, and collaboration lead to a more prosperous, just, and peaceful world.”

I was honored to be nominated by John Della Volpe of Social Sphere and the Harvard University Institute of Politics, which is where I met John when I used to moonlight as a correspondent for WWE’s Smackdown Your Vote program in my former life.

My program will take me to Belgium, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Turkey over the next five weeks with the following goals:

  • To develop an internationaLinkl network within European sports leadership through which to create cultural change and educational programs on brain trauma in sports.
  • To advance research goals, including developing effective treatment and a cure for Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, Motor Neuron Disease, and related neurodegenerative diseases.

This is an incredible opportunity to meet face to face with leaders in sports, science and policy, and I am hopeful I can advance our cause while in Europe. I am off to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment